We started by creating a big storyboard adding in questions about things we're not sure on and also putting in new ideas that we want to try out. We posted it up around the rehearsal room and throughout the week have been working through it scene by scene. We were keen as a team to work in a way that includes elements like set, costume and AV from an early stage and so when the set arrived on Monday we spent most of the day playing on it to see what Mel can do physically.
As well as trying things out 'on their feet' and improvising with old and new material we have also gone back to research, discussion and brain storming. We've been gathering images, videos, music and newspaper articles which we want to draw on as creative influences and incorporate into the world of the show. It's been a strange process to move between both research and practical work but each part seems to be supporting each other well for the stage we are at.
It has been a very up and down week. Some days we feel as if we have had the ten best ideas in theatre history and some days we have gotten ourselves completely stuck. Part of our challenge has been with redeveloping the existing material we have from the work in progress. Suddenly the ideas that have worked in the past don't fit anymore and it's difficult to move past them. The parts when we are starting from scratch have been much easier though.
We need to finish drafting out the show next week and then we can go back and enjoy the detail again. For now though we are off for a nice rest. See you next week!!
Melanie and Caitlin x